Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Owl City - Of June

Browsing around on iTunes found me this album, by a band called Owl City. The name itself was what caught my attention. Owl City? What? Really? I had to click.

I was happy I did click.

It's like Daft Punk, Passion Pit, and Röyksopp had a love child that was an Owl. And it started its own city, (i.e. band) and it made some pretty rad music.

In reality, Owl City is a man named Adam Young, and "Of June" is his debut album. He is fairly independent - but has a very well-designed website (http://www.owlcitymusic.com) and from the sounds of his albums and singles, a promising start to a career.

The music itself is ethereal - nearly every song has an element of travel; by boat, air, or road. Adam seems to be a restless individual, constantly moving along and finding new places. The opening of the album's fourth song "Panda Bear" goes, "I'm moving to Tokyo, cause I'm tired of San Francisco." The songs previous to this one mention Los Angeles, Miami, and other tropical places. Oh, did I mention that? There is an INCREDIBLE air of summer about this album. The airy synths, however cheesy they would be alone, become magical when combined with Adam's lightly vocoder-tuned voice. Each song has its own little gems to be discovered, any description I could offer wouldn't be sufficient, mostly because I haven't listened to the album enough times to appropriately describe them. All I can say is - listen, and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Haha, all funky ass music, check out Royksopp's song, "You Don't Have a Clue", it was referenced on QC.

    ReplyDelete