Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My 5 Contemporary Rap Playlist (By Accident)

So, I know I've been behind the scenes lately, with mostly formatting, editing and the occasional WTF post. But with the introduction of SoulHopper, I have been inclined to introduce what true rap is, smooth beats and the occasional smack down.
This hip hop at its finest, not the Lil Wayne, Mike Jones, Rick Ross, bullshit, asshole cocksucker, mother fucking so and so forth. And cunts. Don't forget about cunts that these stupid pricks on the train decide to blast on their stupid oversized wannabe DJ headphones, annoying all the honest blue collar workers just trying to take a nap. I'm talking about lyrics not catchphrases, beats, not singles churned out by producers indistinguishable from one another, I'm talking about music. That curse laden rant's style was a homage to George Carlin, R.I.P.

1) Go! - Common

2) The Blast (Feat Vinia Mojica) - Hi Tek and Talib Kweli

3) History (Feat Talib Kweli) - Mos Def

4) Get By - Talib Kweli

5) Kick Push - Lupe Fiasco

A) This is music here, with chorus and backing beats to die for, lyrics so smooth, so poetic, Common is a mixmaster supreme.

B) I almost never feature an artist in a playlist more than once, which speaks to how much I have really enjoyed Talib Kweli.
This song has had some great smooth rhythm, but Talib hits it hard. Vinia Mojica is a beautiful singer and they compliment each other perfectly.

C) Mos Def is the smoothest man in the industry, Usher can suck it. (I personally think he does, those orgies he has get funky) But he is an actor, and an MC so multitalented. In the Alicia Keys Video, If I Ain't Got You, I'm perfectly straight, and he could have asked me out and I would have been flattered. But enough with the silliness and onto the music. This song has a super catchy intro, and the lyrics have deep meaning, unlike some of the other crap these days (MIKE JONES). It's almost emotional listening to this, and its just as smooth as watching him in the movies. Talib Kweli adds a harder change of pace that really shows the harder side of African American history, it's a great song, perfect song structure.

D) Finally, Talib Kweli in a single, and its a doozy. It has an entry piano and this epic singing voice. He compliments it well with his signature hard hitting voice, and his lyrics are so culturally relevant and somber. His chorus isn't overly done but catchy and very memorable. He has good changes of pace all round, and is complimented well by other artists. This is truly a work of art, not just good music, great.

E) Lupe is smooth. Smooth beats, smooth lyrics, smooth all round, like listening to butter. Very pleasant.

Enjoy this playlist as much as I have, happy listening!



Image from www.illustratorworld.com/ artwork/538/

No comments:

Post a Comment